Game over. We lost. Nothing to see here, move along.

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Sat Nov 19 17:01:13 GMT 2005

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Ovid wrote:

> --- Simon Wilcox <essuu at ourshack.com> wrote:
>
> > The corollary to that being that if you're not familar with any of
> > those options the choice is too bewildering, you give up and go and
> > use Rails instead. Sometimes choice is a bad thing.
>
> I'd still go with the choice.  There are few things which frustrate me
> more than seeing someone say "we won't use Bricolage because we prefer
> building large systems witih MySQL 3.2".

Except that here they're saying that they already have familarity with one
particular tool and want to use it. Choice is good in this context. What
I'm saying is that if you walk into a store with a load of parts and get
told you can put together any vehicle you want but be sure to choose
wisely as some of the parts don't play well together, some people will
head next door to buy a shiny Ford and a few accessories that they know
will work well.

It's horses for courses as always and if you have complex requirements
Perl and Catapole are likely to allow you to deliver on those. Which is,
of course, one of the good arguments for Perl - why learn something else
now when one day you will want to use & therefore learn Perl anyway ?

Perl Everywhere ! (Didn't someone do a conference about that ? :)

S.