attack of the killer tree rats

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 15:24:32 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 14:44 +0000, Jonathan Peterson wrote:

> I've also seen crows kill a lamb. Well, strictly speaking, the lamb was
> still alive when I saw it but I figured it was only going to end one way.

It is much more likely that the lamb was already doing what all sheep do
best (viz: dying) and the crows were merely doing their job as
scavengers. It is a popular misconception that scavengers wait until you
are dead - actually they wait until you can't (or won't) fight back.

Having said that, many corvids are vicious buggers and impatient with
it. A moribund lamb (or even one that has got separated from the herd)
can sometimes be attacked - just to help it on its way - you
understand.

It is no accident that they are persecuted mercilessly in farming and
shooting areas.
--
Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk>