Nominative Determinism (was: Domain naming (was: ADSL providers))

Ian Malpass ian at indecorous.com
Tue Dec 6 00:20:49 GMT 2005

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Dirk Koopman wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 16:37 -0500, Chris Winters wrote:
>> On 12/5/05, Andrew Beattie <andrew at tug.com> wrote:
>>> My mother had a teacher "Miss Nut".  The class thought nothing of it
>>> 'till one of them opened a book that was a present from her parents.
>>> Inside the cover, they had written: "To our dearest Hazel..."
>>
>> Similarly: one of my early science teachers was Kathy Watt => kwatt (arg!)
>
> As we appear to have morphed into nominative determinism and as this is
> likely to be a rich seam of interesting trivia, I offer:
>
> My dentist in Dereham, Norfolk (and he is still "practising") is called:
> Mr Screech.

My swimming teacher was Miss Gill. One of my cookery teachers was Mrs
Burn. A history teacher at my school who left just before I arrived was
David Crockett. We also had a William Shakespeare[0,1] (who, alas, taught
Maths and not English).

Ian

[0] From <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare>: [[ William
Shakespeare (baptised April 26, 1564  April 23, 1616) ]] - that's a heck
of a long baptism....

[1] He told me that at least one male child in every generation of
his family is called William, which speaks of a shocking lack of
originality. He also dreaded any contact with officials like police
officers, because they always asked his name, and never believed his
reply.

-