Thinking on Talks (parts I & II)

Ben Evans ben at bpfh.net
Tue Dec 6 16:00:58 GMT 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 03:11:16PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:

> * I'd be happy with just encasing the waste in glass** and burying it in
> old mines.  Keep good records of where the damned stuff is, and either
> leave it for ever or let our great-grandchildren deal with it.  They'll
> probably turn it into a tourist attraction just like how tourists these
> days go ooh! and aah! at old mills and railways.

Not quite great-grandchildren. If the Romans had built nuclear power plants
in Britain we would still have to be guarding the waste.[0]

Funnily enough, neither that nor the decomm costs are ever factored into
the cost profile of nuclear fission.

Ben
[0] And of course, the best way to build something which required those
standards of engineering would be to have secret negotiations with a
profit-making entity (who, by a basic law of the market is totally incapable
of borrowing money more cheaply than the British Government) and make
a decision based on lobbying pork from those selfsame entities.

Then fiddle the numbers. Then keep the contractual arrangements secret
to prevent the public from seeing what a shockingly bad deal the civil
servants struck.