Thinking on Talks (parts I & II)

Graham Seaman graham at theseamans.net
Tue Dec 6 16:10:26 GMT 2005

Peter wrote:

>It's also called Calder Hall.
>
>My mother grew up in the Lake District, so as a wee'un, I'd be taken
>on holiday up there. The nuclear plant was visible from where we were
>staying. I'm still relatively normal and have just the normal six
>fingers and three eyes.
>
>I'm not convinced that nuclear power plants are any more dangerous
>than coal-fired power plants. Coal is pretty radioactive: more energy
>could be obtained by fissioning the material in it than burning it.

That would be the Windscale that  blew up  when I was a child, then?  My
dad was the only person for miles around with access to a geiger
counter; I remember him banning us from drinking milk at one point, and
then swearing about any government that could lie to its population on
that scale...

Like Chernobyl, they may be safe most of the time, but how much of the
underlying cancer rate is due to the times when they're not?

Grahaam