Proebsting's Law

the hatter london.pm at bang.meep.org
Wed Dec 14 22:47:15 GMT 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Matt Sergeant wrote:

> On 14 Dec 2005, at 11:44, Jacqui Caren wrote:
>
> > Matt Sergeant wrote:
> >> Sadly Moore's Law doesn't speed up the 2000-ish servers we have out
> >> in data centres.
> >
> > Given the lifespan of these systems (a few years max) and their cost
> > how many companies purchase, rent or use leaseback?
>
> Depends which end of the scale you're at. At this end I bet hardly
> anyone rents because they have serious security issues to consider.
> Plus we get economies of scale doing it ourselves.

And the lease companies aren't so naive as to take that long to make their
money back on the hardware investment side.  Leasing doesn't make things
cheaper in the medium term.  It does mean that 3/5/20 years down the
line, the techies can make a good case for getting newer kit, because
they're paying regardless, they may as well pay for something current,
unlike owning it, where it's too easy to look at zero cost for keeping old
kit (because maintainance is also easy to skimp on) vs the cost of buying
shiny new hardware.

the hatter