vector graphics drawing module

Robin Berjon robin.berjon at expway.fr
Fri Dec 16 17:00:33 GMT 2005

Hi,

I've been noodling about writing a simple module to convert SVG Tiny
1.2 documents to rasters, and therefore I've been hunting around on
CPAN for a good graphics module to use. There are quite a few
options, but I'm struggling to figure out which one to use.

My requirements are roughly the following:

  - basic shapes
  - bézier paths (cubic and quadratic)
  - colours fills and opacity
  - linear and radial gradients
  - does not require intense struggle to set up on OSX and Linux
  - ideally would have some fonts support, but I can live with only
doing SVG fonts myself
  - helpers to maintain affine transform contexts are nice to have,
but not required
  - ability to write directly to a bitmap buffer

It looks like the best option could be one of the OpenGL modules, but
I can't seem to manage to make much sense of how to use them for
something simple (looking at OpenGL::Simple didn't help much). Imager
has some of that but I don't intend to implement my own bézier support.

Does anyone have suggestions, experience, etc?

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist