Techmeets (was Re: Birmingham.pm envy)

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Fri Jan 13 23:02:24 GMT 2006

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:30:58PM +0000, Greg McCarroll wrote:

> On 13 Jan 2006, at 18:23, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>
> >what would the audience like to hear?
>
> i'd enjoy talks that were perl + foo, where foo was some other topic
> that interests geeks/hackers/people who like learning new stuff and
> is not computing related. e.g.

> where the perl can be easy, so i can follow along ok on that level and
> learn something about the 'foo' topic at the same time,

That's a crazy suggestion. I mean, how many books say "Perl is a language
for getting your job done" ?

People might forget about Perl for Perl's sake and be inspired to actually
start doing things for the fun of it, merely using Perl because it was the
best tool for the job, rather than the obviously only acceptable tool.

Heresy.

Next thing you'll be suggesting meeting on the first Thursday of the month.

Nicholas Clark :-)