"fixing" RCS files

Greg McCarroll greg at mccarroll.org.uk
Wed Feb 1 22:26:16 GMT 2006

On 1 Feb 2006, at 21:32, Tara Andrews wrote:

> an RCS file from an alternate
> universe where no one was foolish enough to stick the $Log$ keyword
> in?  Is there anything that will get me part of the way there?

how about creating trcs, tara's rcs which is like rcs almost exactly
apart from you've put an empty string in the source code of rcs
to be used wherever it makes the relevant substitution (or spit out
of the current string under consideration which it has identified
as $Foo$-ish).

i haven't checked to see how rcs's parsing is implemented, but its worth
a look[1],

G.

[1] you could even get exceptionally lucky and find that TomC. or
someone
else has implemented rcs in perl as part of the perl tools project and
therefore dodge the C and maybe get a more regex-ish approach[2].

[2] of course you could also go the boring write a regex to do it way,
but thats for the samba favouring lemurs to debate ;-)