[JOB] Perl Software Developer and Database programmer

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Feb 23 12:58:43 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 12:44 +0000, Andy Armstrong wrote:

> Anyway, what about beauty? There's still room for that in
> programming, right?

In my view a program that "works" (for the prevailing contextual
definition of that word) and is beautiful to look at (to a reasonable
programmer) is what this job is all about.

Beauty, in programming, generally equates to simplicity and obviousness
written down well.

There are no other rules. It does not matter whether it is OO or uses
global variables or, indeed, the occasional 'local'. Provided the
program "works", is simple, obvious and written down well, in my eyes:
it could well be beautiful.

Dirk