Targeted CPAN SPAM

james@mastros.biz james at mastros.biz
Fri Apr 7 12:44:31 BST 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 01:19:32PM +0200, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:46:23AM +0100, Simon Wistow wrote:
> > On the other, other hand many years ago VA Linux offered all CPAN
> > authros the ability to get in on the ground floor of their IPO (back
> > when it was all IPO madness). Which was nice.
>
> Wasn't it all CPAN authors who were located in the USA or something?
I wasn't a CPAN author at the time, but they mailed everyone in Linux (the
kernel's) CREDITS file, regardless of their listed physical location, but
the mail made it clear that the offer was only open to US residents.

Since I /was/ a US resident, I very much welcomed the mail, and made quite a
lot of money off of it.  I don't really mind reasonably well-targeted,
well-crafted spam.  I /do/ mind it when they haven't put in the effort to
make sure they don't look like absolute idiots.

     -=- James Mastros