[ANNOUNCE] London Javascript Night - May 25th

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Thu Apr 27 15:47:52 BST 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:46:18AM +0100, Jacqui Caren wrote:
> Simon Wistow wrote:
> >evening dedicated to the little language that could, hence ...
>
> "Little" - you jest sire!
>
> Have you read the 2.0 spec onwards - most javascript is
> like most perl - script kiddie stuff and this IMO is not
> a very good advert for either language.

Thankfully, JavaScript 2.0 never really came to fruition, apart from
ActionScript.  But we all hate flash, so let's not go there.

JavaScript 1.5 is a relatively "little" language.  Although this is
mostly down to the fact that the core language is pretty small
and the standard library is petite.

Admittedly, by the time that you throw in all the browser technologies
(DOM, CSS integration, XMLHTTPRequest, etc), it does get quite a bit
larger.  But OTOH, so does Perl + TT + DBI + Catalyst...

> If you are going to have a Web2.0 night, include rico,
> use of xmlrpc.js and the various soap API's.

Web 2.0?  SOAP?  I thought we'd all realised that REST was the way to go

-Dom