DNS services

Daniel Barlow dan at telent.net
Tue May 23 12:57:24 BST 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 11:54:10AM +0100, Roger Burton West wrote:
> So you don't want to do the work yourself, but you don't want to pay
> anyone else to do it either?
>
> Since as far as I know there's no way of inserting advertisements in DNS
> (and if there is I don't want to know about it), I don't think it's
> likely that anyone will offer this service any time soon.

If you control the servers, it would not be hard to add TXT "messages
from our sponsor" in the "Additional Information" section of a DNS
response.  Fictitious example

:; dig example.com
[...]
;; ANSWER SECTION:
example.com.            172800  IN      A       192.0.34.166

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
a.iana-servers.net.     171333  IN      A       192.0.34.43
b.iana-servers.net.     171333  IN      A       193.0.0.236
ads.devilspawn.com.	172800	IN	TXT	"DNS zone hosting from www.devilspawn.com"

I don't know of any RFCs that say you can't do this, but my knowledge
of DNS-related RFCs stopped about ten years ago - and i can't remember
those.  So there may be some kind of injunction against it

-dan