[OT] Linux-worthy laptop recommendations

Nik Clayton nik at ngo.org.uk
Tue May 23 09:49:50 BST 2006

Toby Corkindale wrote:
> On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 04:46:23PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
>> Dirk Koopman wrote:
>>> This any use?
>>>
>>> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=110144&_LOC=UK
>> I recommend avoiding Ebuyer.  I've had items I've bought from them (and
>> manufactured by them) fail under warranty.  They refused to deal with
>> this, to the point where I had to threaten to take them to court.
>
> Nasty. Although I've put a fair bit of business through them, and haven't had
> any trouble with any returns myself. (ie. They've accepted them without
> question)

The specific problem was that the items (power supply and motherboard)
failed.  I'd purchased these from eBuyer.  Their failure also took out the
CPU, RAM, and GPU, which I'd purchased from elsewhere.

eBuyer were of the opinion that the clause in the contract that said
(paraphrase) "We are not responsible for consequential damages" had some
legal weight.  Various consumer rights groups, including the DTI, disagreed.