Replacement for GD

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Mon Jun 19 00:20:38 BST 2006

On 18 Jun 2006, at 23:25, the hatter wrote:
>> GD's OK - but it's a bit long in the tooth and it's support for
>> antialising and postscript style path functions is limited.
>>
>> Does anyone know what the hot ticket C (or C++) 2d graphics library
>> is? I'm looking for something GPL that I can wrap up in a GD like
>> Perl interface.
>
> ImageMagick ?  Even the author of GD expressed mild disbelief that
> there
> weren't a shedload of IM APIs to make it pretend to be GD, and save
> on the
> hassle of installing IM, GDv1 and GDv2.

Quite by chance I discovered AAG this afternoon:
  http://www.antigrain.com/

The rendering is absolutely stunning - but it's not terribly well
documented and it's an awkward API to wrap for Perl use. Once I get
some more time I think I'll come back and look at implementing a GD
emulation wrapper for it.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net