Mirroring files over servers was Re: [OT]: bash or any other $favourite{shell}? [was: Wish list]

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Mon Jun 19 21:09:29 BST 2006

On 6/16/06, Steve Mynott  wrote:
> And I have to confess to a prejudice against
> all networked file systems.  So I ended up doing it the old school way and

Here's a '03 snapshot of what Google uses,

http://labs.google.com/papers/gfs-sosp2003.pdf

It's quite a hardcore paper but fascinating in terms of how to
approach a problem when you're dealing in the 000's of nodes range
with the need for flexibility, redundancy and zero data loss. If you
read between the lines you'll realise the decoupling of applications
from their storage and how much network is used (cf clustering systems
that try to keep applications and disks on the same machine).

Paul