Class::DBI and stalinesque hiding of THE TRUTH

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Mon Jun 26 10:41:01 BST 2006

Quoting Aaron Trevena <aaron.trevena at gmail.com>:

> On 23/06/06, Dave Cross <dave at dave.org.uk> wrote:
>> Quoting Aaron Trevena <aaron.trevena at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Nope. No views in MySQL, at least not 3 and 4, which is what most
>>> people are using.
>>
>> Sad but true. I can't understand why so many people use a "relational
>> database" which is lacking so many of the standard relational database
>> features.
>
> Apart from being quick to learn, easy to administer, bundled with
> every linux distro, and with  several enterprise features that
> postgres still lacks.

Yes. I understand all that. My question is not "why do people use
MySQL in preference to PostgreSQL/Oracle/DB2/whatever?" it's "why do
people still use MySQL 3 or 4 when MySQL 5 is available?" And the
answer to that question is "because it's what most hosting companies
provide". So the question then becomes "why don't people insist that
their hosting companies use MySQL 5?" And the answer to that is
"because most people don't know any better.

So effectively it becomes the same question as "why are most web sites
constructed out of horrible tag soup rather than nice standards
compliant HTML?" and "why do more people use Matt's Script Archive
than nms?" Because most people don't know any better. And, perhaps
more importantly, they don't care. And, really, why should they?

> Also would you really use DB2 or Oracle for every project?

Actually, I'd prefer Sybase. But I know I'm a bit weird.

Dave...

--
Site: http://dave.org.uk/
Blog: http://blog.dave.org.uk/