Class::DBI and stalinesque hiding of THE TRUTH

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Jun 27 16:36:18 BST 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:41:01AM +0100, Dave Cross wrote:

> Yes. I understand all that. My question is not "why do people use
> MySQL in preference to PostgreSQL/Oracle/DB2/whatever?" it's "why do
> people still use MySQL 3 or 4 when MySQL 5 is available?" And the
> answer to that question is "because it's what most hosting companies
> provide".

I'm not convinced that people who use whatever their hosting company
provides are particularly important in this matter.  An *excellent*
reason to use MySQL 3 or 4 is that whoever originally set everything up
didn't know anything else, and you now have a metric fuckton of critical
code using it, your monitoring system is set up to monitor it, there are
certainly scripts using it which you don't know about, ...

In other words, like a, errm, "mature" featureful MTA install, it's a
teetering pile of crap which you dare not fuck with.  It's far easier to
pile more cruft on top and shore it up from the sides than to replace
the foundations.

    You are so cynical.  And by "cynical", of course, I mean "correct".
         -- Kurt Starsinic