Best mail transfer agent ?

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Jun 29 18:49:21 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 11:40 +0200, Thomas Busch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know this is not really 100% perl related but can anyone
> recommend a good mail transfer agent (besides SendMail)
> that works well in a virtual hosting environment and can
> easily be configured to use Domainkeys, SPF, SpamAssassin
> and Clam AntiVirus ?
> I have heard about Exim, PostFix and Qmail but I don't
> what they are really worth.

Exim 4. Period.

Use it everywhere. Postfix is fine if you want a drop in sendmail
replacement (which is why you find it more and more as the default
mailer in linux distros). It is not IMO (note no H) as scalable for
virtual hosting as exim (and I have tried all of them in all sorts of
sizes of job).

I won't bother to mention qmail other than to say that claims about its
speed and impact, particularly on networks when being loaded, do not
stack up under benchmarks that I have done. Its configuration is IMO the
most sysop hostile. It is not as flexible as the other two. And then
there is DJB...

Dirk