Why schemas and not code?

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Fri Jun 30 11:19:52 BST 2006

On 30 Jun 2006, at 10:52, ti at lemonia.org wrote:
> This was the case I referred to in passing as "refer to abstract
> numeric
> keys instead". That may not be the correct term. In fact, although I'm
> convinced of the value of using numeric/serial primary keys for almost
> every table, I'm unclear what, if any, level of normalisation that
> corresponds to.

 From a programmer's perspective normalisation is pretty much the
process of squeezing out any redundancy. Each datum should appear
just once in the database - so 'Alanis Morissette' should appear only
once in the database (and ideally shouldn't be audible at all...)

Wherever you refer to Alanis you should instead refer to her primary
key. So using keys is central to normalisation but doesn't
automatically imply or ensure normalisation.

Bear in mind though that it's about eliminating semantic redundancy
rather than textual redundancy. So let's say that in addition to your
lists of artists you run a forum from the same database and one of
your forum users chooses the alias 'Alanis Morissette'. That's
semantically different from the artist known as 'Alanis Morissette'
and there should be no connection between the two.

Good practice is generally to develop a completely normalised schema
and then, if necessary, de-normalise to improve performance or
satisfy some other operation requirement.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net