Planet LPM

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Fri Jun 30 14:53:53 BST 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 08:04:39AM -0500, Tatsuhiko Miyagawa said:
> Yes, they're horrible. I'm very sorry about that and I appreciate any
> feedback to make it suck less.

At least you *have* documentation. Most of my big projects don't get
released to CPAN or have a website.

After installing half of CPAN (perhaps hitting 'y' to every optional
dependency wasn't such a good idea :) I'll admit that plagger was
amazingly easy to install.

I'll join the Plagger dev list but my suggestions would be

1) trimmed down core distro - just enough to be minimally useful
   (maybe just handle consuming and generating rss at first)
2) the website should have a front page that says "This is plagger -
   this is a screen shot - it can do this this and this"
3) A proper quick start - it took me a while to realise that there was
   no mod_perl handler or anything and plagger ran as a cron job
4) Descriptions of which each of the examples are - I guessed what I
   wanted was a planet but I have no idea what the other config files
    are
5) Comment the config files to
6) Make the plagger script quieter - only spew errors out to STDERR. At
   the moment I've had to do

	plagger -c config.yaml >/dev/null 2>&1

   which means I'm missing any errors
7) A list of plugins and what they achieve. Each plugin should have
   example, commented config in their SYNOPSIS
8) Simple docs on how to create a plugin
9) Use File::ShareDir to put all the assets in and make that the
   default. If necessary give a plagger command line option to copy them
   to the current directory
10) A tutorial on how to write a new skin would be great. A list of
    other people's skins would also be fantastic

Cheers,

Simon