[JOB] BBC Perl Developer at White City

Richard Jolly richardjolly at mac.com
Fri Jul 14 21:47:55 BST 2006

On 14 Jul 2006, at 15:57, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> On 7/14/06, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 11:51:56PM +0100, Greg McCarroll wrote:
>>
>> > I know the move from Kingswood Warren upset a lot of people, but
>> I'm not
>> > sure even those affected would just go for 'the BBC sucks' as a
>> blanket
>> > statement.
>>
>> I'd go back to the BBC in a heart-beat.
>
> How would you do that? 'Cos I could never get it much below 50mins and
> a district to central line change.
>
> But anyway, yeah, the BBC's great and their employee/consultant
> selection procedure at least in NMT is solid so you end up working
> with smart, creative, and interesting folks. Or at least I did when I
> was there. The only problem is their infrastructure is (or was when I
> was there) change-managed to the point of appearing absurd and has
> been a factor in causing the BBC to lose frustrated but talented folk.
> That frustration is also I think partly due to unrealistic developer
> expectations however.

In NMT[0] it's pretty good right now. There is still the same change
management procedures, but the culture has shifted somewhat. It's
easier to try new approaches, and there is a rapid adoption of
automated testing.

And they are hiring like crazy.

Richard

(Hi Paul. The new development servers did, eventually, arrive.)

[0] New Media & Technology