[JOB] BBC Perl Developer at White City

Richard Jolly richardjolly at mac.com
Fri Jul 14 21:50:38 BST 2006

On 14 Jul 2006, at 18:14, David Cantrell wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 03:57:38PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>>> I'd go back to the BBC in a heart-beat.
>> How would you do that? 'Cos I could never get it much below 50mins and
>> a district to central line change.
>
> That, young apprentice, you will learn later in your training.  For
> now,
> learn patience.  And the quick tube interchanges.
>
>> But anyway, yeah, the BBC's great and their employee/consultant
>> selection procedure at least in NMT is solid so you end up working
>> with smart, creative, and interesting folks. Or at least I did when I
>> was there. The only problem is their infrastructure is (or was when I
>> was there) change-managed to the point of appearing absurd and has
>> been a factor in causing the BBC to lose frustrated but talented folk.
>> That frustration is also I think partly due to unrealistic developer
>> expectations however.
>
> A lot of people who go to Auntie, at least in IT-ish jobs, seem to come
> from much smaller companies.  They're not used to the regimentation
> that
> is essential if you are to keep order in such a vast organisation.

The problem I've had is that in a such a big organization you cat get
massive duplication of effort. Whole projects seem to exist in
duplicate in different departments. This can be justified in some ways,
but the tragedy is those projects may not only fail to cooperate, but
might not even heard of each other.

Richard