the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

Peter Hickman peter.hickman at semantico.com
Mon Aug 7 15:15:50 BST 2006

Peter Corlett wrote:
> I note that the programming job advertised on your website says "we want a
> Java expert who's seen a Perl script once" so it strikes me as unlikely that
> you'll have a Perl expert apply.

At this point the course has been set. We are becoming a Java shop and
Perl development will start to enter maintenance mode and new work will
be in Java. Of course this will not happen overnight and we will
probably be doing development work in Perl for at least another year.
Writing on the wall and all that. We know we will need more Java
programmers and we seem to have enough Perl programmers for the
foreseeable future so our recruitment now reflects this.

We officially gave up looking for Perl programmers.

--
Peter Hickman.

Semantico, Lees House, 21-23 Dyke Road, Brighton BN1 3FE
t: 01273 722222
f: 01273 723232
e: peter.hickman at semantico.com
w: www.semantico.com