the "no good Perl jobs"/"no good Perl programmers" myth

IvorW combobulus at xemaps.com
Mon Aug 7 15:55:58 BST 2006

Yup!

Pascal was the "teaching language". But if you wanted to work on interesting projects and be taken seroiusly, you learned C - they didn't lecture you in C, you were expected to buy a copy of K&R and teach yourself C.

We did cover several other languages: Macro-11 assembler, Lisp, Ada, OCCAM, Snobol, APL. This was together with the functional languages SASL and Miranda, lectured by Simon Peyton-Jones.

I'm talking about 1982 - 1985.

I've since used Pascal once - at LIFFE in 2001/2

Ivor.