Gentlemen, a call to arms!

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 19:33:26 BST 2006

On 16/10/06, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote:
> Aaron Trevena wrote:
> > I've never used Catalyst, but using attributes to map uris and the
> > distinct smell of little pixies in pointy hats give the game away
>
> Attributes are a core perl feature.  Nothing more magical than time() or
> regexes :)
>
> I see your point, though.  I suppose people migrating from CGI want a
> simple URL -> file mapping... but that's not MVC anymore.  (That's
> every-file-is-it's-own-application-yay.)

Not even that - I think more about how it would resolve clashes or
fall back to a particular sensible guess, I don't see how you can have
a bunch of actions each specify 'I want this url, which could be a
regex or a subref, or specified by a webservice' resolve to urls
without some sort of magic to work out clashes, misses, etc.

> Once you get over the fact that CGI isn't the end-all-and-be-all of web
> programming, I think you'll appreciate having a URI dispatcher.  YMMV of
> course.

Maypole has a nice uri dispatcher that you can over-ride (using
attributes like catalyst if you so wish), much less magical IMHO, but
then I don't trust the pixies not to curdle my milk and ensure that
the knockers always get the corner of my pasty so you could call me
superstitous ;)

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk