tum ti tum

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Oct 17 15:59:11 BST 2006

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 09:22:45AM -0400, muppet wrote:
[...]
> What's very scary, though, is that my nephews and niece have no idea what
> these gadgets are. My 15-year-old brother-in-law even told me that he
> thought the Atari 2600 was some relic from the Stone Age. "This thing is
> crap. The games are too hard 'cause the graphics suck." I remember my dad
> bringing that home in '80...

To be fair, the Atari 2600 wasn't exactly state of the art in its day
either. It was cost-reduced on an impressive scale, and it's even more
impressive that there were any good games for it.

One disgusting hack on it was that it used the same memory for zero page and
the stack. Use more stack, get less zero page. Of course, that also opens up
various interesting options for accessing things on the stack with zero page
instructions...