tum ti tum

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Oct 17 19:15:29 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 18:54 +0100, Jonathan Stowe wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 17:06 +0100, Dirk Koopman wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 08:47 -0700, John Costello wrote:
> > > I saw somewhere that vinyl is experiencing a resurgence.  Hm, looks like
> > > that claim has been knocked around since 1998.
> >
> > As have people raving about valves in amplifiers...
> >

> I don't think valves in guitar amplifiers ever went away, but yeah the
> audionutjobs have been banging on about using valves in HiFi amplifiers
> for years and I don't think I've seen one in a shop since they died out
> in the sixties (and I used to have a valve dansette when I was a
> kid ...)

Speaking of audionutjobs, I was reading some magazine written for such
people where they were comparing mains leads. Apparently a 3m orange
mains lead (don't ask about make/manufacturer, can't be bothered to
remember), price £27 was nearly as good as the market leader at £79.
These p*ssed all over the competition priced variously between
£15->150.

You could really tell the difference on their stupidly priced (valve)
Quad amplifiers (complete with good, old fashioned, transformer based HT
supply) - they said.

Dirk