What shame? [Was: What a shame...]

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Tue Oct 24 14:45:30 BST 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 11:56:01AM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 03:53:23PM +0100, Peter Hickman wrote:
>
> > If they then start being Internet Explorer only then they will be
> > completely fucked.
>
> Yes, by the law suits about disability access.
>
> I can't see that it would get that far.
>
> Also, I'm not sure how much the world has changed, but in 1999 boo.com got
> bad reviews by the nu medja (among other things) because it launched
> Windows IE only, and a lot of the relevant chattering classes (at least the
> ones publishing the journals with reviews in) were using Macs.
>
> And how much IE is there on browsers on mobile devices?

Well, loads of so-called Smartphones run WinCE, which comes with Pocket IE.
HOwever, it's only similar in two ways.
1) Name
2) It's horrible.

However it doesn't actually manage to render much at all, and is quite useless.
I haven't tried out its DRM features though.

You can install Mozilla or Opera or NetFront on them, all of which do a
reasonable job. Mozilla even manages to run enough of the AJAX-overkill
javascript from Dojo to show my work's homepage, albeit taking about a minute
to render the page on my poor phone.. but none of them would support DRM, i
suspect.

tjc

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world