Sorting and undefined values

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Fri Dec 15 17:01:30 GMT 2006

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 03:15:39PM +0000, Matt Lawrence wrote:
> Uri Guttman wrote:

> >if you use blead perl you could reduce that to $_->{x} // $_->{y}
> >

> I thought that was going to be the hookhook operator
>
> http://www.perl.com/tchrist/defop/defconfaq.html

That was before Perl 6:

  HISTORY

    * 31 July 1999: Initial revision
    * 1 August 1999: The foreach aliasing material, the question on senseless
      pursuit of brevity, and quite a bit of miscellaneous cleanup and
      elaboration.

I don't remember anything of details of evolution of the defined or operator
during the Perl 6 design process - particularly whether it started as // in
Perl 6, or as ??

Nicholas Clark