[OT] Gentoo emerge --configure

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 12:08:15 GMT 2007

Chisel Wright wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 10:18:00AM +0000, Raf wrote:
>> Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome?
>
> I thought you set it with the CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf - it's been a
> while since I tweaked mine though:
>
>   http://gentoo-wiki.com/CFLAGS

Confused.

Emerge works with whatever you have in your make.conf. In fact if you
change your make.conf arch from say i386 to i686 and run emerge then,
the chances are, it will attempt to recompile large portions of your
system if you do (for example) emerge -u world. Adding a --pretend is
always good plan, in any case, after altering make.conf.

It is unlikely, in my experience, that you will have an installed DBI
emerged as arch i686 and then get an emerge (of anything) using arch
i386 - unless you have changed your make.conf.

In the above I am assuming that you have been emerging from source all
the time and not used the prebuilt binaries. If you have done that then
you really *MUST* find out what make.conf was set to for those binaries
and set yours accordingly, it will then just all work.

Dirk