Let's organise (... what I want programmers to know ...)

Daniel Barlow dan at telent.net
Tue Feb 20 13:12:43 GMT 2007

Peter Corlett wrote:
> Nor, for that matter, at anything involving Movable Type. Yeah, let's embed
> Perl into our HTML templates and store that in a database as the
> authoritative copy of that data. But wait, there's more!

This is of course the reverse operation: you're not putting data in
code, you're putting code in (the) data(base).

Although data-driven programming has been touted as a good idea (and
sometimes is, it can make the control flow much more obvious), when it
comes at the expense of such niceties as version control it's really not
looking so hot any more.

There's a balance between "easily configurable by the user" and "so
configurable you might as well have given them a source snapshot, a text
editor and a copy of gcc".  Emacs is probably somewhere in that grey
area (actually, emacs is well on the far side of the line, but most
people treat it as if it were in the grey area)

-dan