geographical accuracy

Raphael Mankin raph at mankin.org.uk
Sun Feb 25 13:54:31 GMT 2007

Be wary when using code issued by the Ordnance Survey. It may well have
been updated since I used it, but when they sent me their booklet on the
transformations I found that the algorithms did not always converge with
32-bit arithmetic. There were problems with chains divisions that lost
so much accuracy that they would only converge on a 64-bit arithmetic
unit.

I had to reorganise several expressions of the form a/b/c to read
a/(b*c). Sometimes the sequence of divisions occurred in separate
statements, so the rewriting was not always entirely obvious.

Anyway, if you are losing accuracy look carefully at the code you were
given. Or use Snyder's book, which does take account of these issues.

If you get stuck contact me off list and I will email you some C++ code.
(I really ought to get around to releasing it under LGPL.) I also have
code for Lambert equal area, Lambert conformal conic (France, Belgium),
Albers (USA), Bonne (Portugal), Mercator, Oblique Mercator (Switzerland,
Indonesia), equidistant conic, Cassini, strereographic (Netherlands),
van der Grinten and Miller projections.

van der Grinten and Miller projections are mostly useful for whole-world
maps where they are more convenient than Mercator.