[OT]: Syslog issues?

Luis Motta Campos luismottacampos at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 12:39:13 GMT 2007

   Dear M[ou]ngers

   I'm facing a funny problem at work.

   We have a very busy apache farm producing 40Gb of log files
everyday, and no centralized logging facility.
   We're considering using syslog (or better, syslog-ng) to
concentrate all logs on a single spot, so we can handle, parse, and
summarize all information for human and machine consumption.

   The problem is making sure we have enough hardware to not loose
messages and enough bandwidth to guarantee that every message gets
properly delivered to the logging server without problems.

   If you have experience with large syslog activity and can enlight
my day with a suggestion or solution for this problem, I would be
happy to pay you $favorite_drink for the information ;-)

   Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestion.
--
Luis Motta Campos (a.k.a. Monsieur Champs) is a software engineer,
Perl fanatic evangelist, and amateur {cook, photographer}