New Story: "Star Trek: We, the Living Dead"

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Apr 17 17:11:33 BST 2007

Hi David!

Thanks for your email.

See below for my response.

On Tuesday 17 April 2007, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 08:38:03PM +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Since I figured many of you guys are probably trekkies, you may wish to
> > look at a screenplay for a Deep Space Nine episode, that I started
> > writing:
>
> While it's true that there's no such thing as off-topic on this list,
> common courtesy means that if you want to post random stuff to the list
> you at least make the effort to first become a member of our little
> community.  Merely subscribing to the list ain't enough for that, and
> that's part of the reason why you will notice that many of the Country
> members tend to stick to topics that are broadly considered to be *on*
> topic for perl mongers groups - such as perl programming, drinking beer,
> complaining about work, and mocking the Welsh.

OK, thanks for the good advice. I'll try to keep that in mind. I don't care
too much about drinking beer, and don't know too much about the Welsh.

> Think of this list as your friendly local pub.  Random strangers are
> welcome.  Please join in our grumbling about the shocking performance
> of the England cricket team.

I do not care too much for spectating of cricket or any other sport, but I
don't mind such threads on the list.

> But if you want to talk about deviant
> behaviour like trains, phone number spotting, or star trek, don't expect
> anyone to be nice to you.

Again, thanks for the advice. Just to keep the record's straight:

1. My first post here within the context of the apology email was about Perl:
namely the Perl-Begin site. I hope it was considered on-topic. The apology
email spawned a large amount of funny discussion, which I liked. :-)

2. The Star Trek episode has or will have many elements of hackerdom. I may
have also forgot to mention it, but you can also find some traces of Buffy
there.

3. I'll make a post about Perl soon. About Perl humour, even.

4. It often takes me some time to get used to the unwritten conventions of a
group. It's a curse.

Sorry if you were offended.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish