Management Training

Merijn Broeren merijnb at iloquent.com
Sat May 5 23:46:21 BST 2007

Quoting Nic Gibson (nicg at noslogan.org):

> I was sent on an Learning Tree[1] course called Management Skills for
> Technical Professionals. The course was pretty good but the teacher
> was superb. So, I would investigate the course but see if you can
> find out if someone called Bob Black is teaching it.[2]

Ofcourse, the facilitator has an enormous impact. Trouble with all
of these courses is that they last only a few days. Hence the 'coach'
that people employ on an ongoing basis.

> I think this is something that happens a lot in 'technical'
> environments.

Not just there.

> People get promoted into a management position because of their
> professional/technical expertise. Sadly, brilliant programmer X is not
> going to be brilliant manager X. In fact (s)he might be utterly
> pissed off manager X because they're now in the position of not
> using those skills (to some extent).

I'm sure half this list has just muttered 'Peter Principle' under their
breath. Wikipedia link for the other half: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

Even more interesing is that the people that make it to the top in a
cut-throat environment tend to be A types and make enemies along the
way, getting ousted before their time. So I know a lot of people who
would be skilled to rise another level but who are keeping their head
below the parapet for that reason. The ambitous lot just think it will
never happen to them. Or so I imagine. ;-)

Cheers,
--
Merijn Broeren | Sometimes, no matter how good the rider is, he or she will