Bonkers

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Sun May 6 23:16:14 BST 2007

Nicholas Clark wrote:
> [snip]
> * Because currently having kittens is easier.
>
> ** Because I know that those 5 don't move because whilst they aren't that
>    happy with where they are, they know that there is worse, often through
>    personal experience of it, and so they stick with the devil they know.
>    Recruitment agents are slaves of mammon. They have no reason to be truthful
>    in any recommendation.

Indeed, I have had a bit of personal experience myself lately.
I worked for company (E) from 2004-2006, and while they were a bit of a
dead-end careerwise and didn't pay brilliantly, at least they paid on
time every month, didn't quibble over leave, and sent people to YAPC:EU.
I worked for company (Y) after that from 2006-2007, and despite leaving
them in April, had to fight to get my March salary, and they're still
trying to hang onto further pay they owe me.

I left because I'm moving back to Australia, and I suspect that they are
trying to hold onto this pay partly because they think it'll be harder
for me to chase them legally from overseas.

Does anyone know if it's still possible to go through the court claims
procedures without being resident at the time, or if one has to hire a
lawyer to represent them?

cheers,
Toby