Bonkers

David Wright dave-lpm` at dexy.org
Wed May 9 01:26:40 BST 2007

On Sun, 6 May 2007, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> On 5/6/07, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
>> > I think if you worked at a company with a proper compensation package
>> > you may well have a different view.
>>
>> Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what a "proper compensation
>> package" is then.  Cos almost all the "perks" that I've been offered at
>> all kinds of places have been worth nothing TO ME.
>
> Unlimited (free) bacon sarnies?
> Paying your motorcycle insurance?
> Sending you to YAPC with an expense account?
> Having you work on open source projects?
> Paying your home broadband?
> Free beer?

Surely much important than those teasers:

Long-Term Disability Coverage
25 paid days holiday per calendar year (+ the 8 standard bank holidays)
Match employee pension contributions from 3%-7% of the base salary.
Enhanced Maternity and Paternity leave

http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/jobs/benefits.html

Those are the ones that burn not having in the standard commercial role,
or as a contractor. I can buy my own bacon, but I can't painlessly double
my pension contributions, or receive income when I've lost my limbs.

/d