Bonkers

Nigel Rantor wiggly at wiggly.org
Thu May 10 15:21:43 BST 2007

Aaron Trevena wrote:
> On 10/05/07, Adrian Howard <adrianh at quietstars.com> wrote:
>> On 9 May 2007, at 15:41, Nigel Rantor wrote:
>>
>> I've found that you can't make an interview question too simple for
>> some folk not to foul it up :-)
>
> I've fouled up questions that were too simple - instead of just giving
> a simple answer I ended up tying myself up in knots over what I was
> missing.

I don't mind this too much. I do find myself sometimes having to tell
people "think of the simplest possible answer, even if you think it is
blindingly obvious." It does seem that people sometimes can't beleive
that some questions are so simple.

> I'm surprised people are still using the local vs my interview
> question, it's trivial to parrot the perfect answer cribbed from the
> camel book, and one of those thing's you tend to use without having to
> think about much if you're coding a lot.

Yes, which makes it all the more surprising when people completely fuck
it up.