Bonkers

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Thu May 10 18:21:00 BST 2007

On 10/05/07, Matt Wilson <codebrewery at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/10/07, ti at lemonia.org <ti at lemonia.org> wrote:
> > > I met a candidate from a British University (which is top-3 for CompSci)
> > > who had just graduated with a First in CompSci who was unable to write
> > > a while loop to traverse a linked list, in the language of their choice.
> >
> > Do they teach compsci students linked lists these days?
>
> I've been out of uni for a few years now, but I'm pretty sure they
> were covered during one of the mandatory classes, yes.

I don't think they taught any algorithms per se on my course (BSc Hons
Computer Systems and Networks), but that's probably the price for
mixing so much into a single degree (building electronic systems to
writing software, to spec'ing out a network for a factory to
incredibly dull and abstract stuff about intelligent telephony,
optical fibre and mobile telecomms, and almost everything in between).

Fortunately my National Diploma had a heavy focus on programming
theory (from what I gathered it went beyond much of what was taught on
computing and related degrees at the uni).

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk