Review : St Gregory Hotel, Shoreditch

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Wed May 16 11:48:23 BST 2007

Hotel Review : St Gregory Hotel, E1

Website : http://www.saintgregoryhotel.co.uk/
Address : 100 Shoreditch High Street, London E1 6JQ
Tube : Old Street, Liverpool Street

St Gregory Hotel, is located on shoreditch high street midway between
where it meets Great Eastern and Old Street, conveniently near The
City (as it reminds you frequently in the brochure, posters, etc),
it's also pretty handy if you have flown into Stansted and just got
off the stansted express at Liverpool Street Station.

It's not central, as in West End central, but that isn't necessarily a
bad thing - the Bus from Old St to the west end was pretty quick and
quiet, there is also a Tesco Metro, and the nicest thing about not
being in Mayfair, Holborn or the West End was that the room was
actually quiet : unlike many Hotels in central London where every room
overlooks a busy road, our room overlooked some gentryfied flats and
some yards / car parking. Not exactly hyde park - but I'd pick a
silent night's sleep over a view of Hyde Park any time.

The room was clean, not as huge or showy as some of the Mayfair
hotels, but plenty big enough for a couple with some baggage, and the
bathroom was the newest and nicest I've seen since Tarr Farm on Exmoor
(which isn't in london and only has 5 rooms), there was an ethernet
port, or you could surf the web through the TV with the wireless
keyboard.

We didn't eat an evening meal at the restaurant, but it looked pretty
good when he had breakfast in the morning. Not only does the
restaurant (on the 7th floor) provide an near panoramic view of The
City (from St Pauls to The Gherkin and several Hawksmoor Churches),
but the service was good, and the food was good, not the usual tosh
you get even in, even expensive, london hotels, but nicely done with a
wide selection of hot and cold breakfast.

The price was also pretty reasonable - we booked online and got a
large discount, but the website offers rooms starting from £70 on some
nights, but expect to pay between 100 and 125 a night.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk