Reading/Oxford.pm

Raf rafiq at dreamthought.com
Mon Jun 4 10:48:07 BST 2007

I was at this teach-in over the weekend and felt extremely inspired by the
feel of being surrounded by like minded-peers and others facing the same
problems and issues.  I felt inspired by the possibility of learning from
the experience of others.  I felt inspired by those giving back.  I'd
quite like to be able to give back.  So, I asked someone if there was an
Oxord.pm, and was told that it had fallen apart.

So, since I'm Reading based and was in the process of arranging internal
lunch time tech-talks in our MWB building; though non-perl specific.  Our
centre manager has been very supportive, so I just approached him with the
notion of holding something similar focussed on perl, but not aimed
directly at those within the building.  He seemed to love the idea and
would be willing to offer a facilities.

I've often been on mailing lists but not had the time to stray too far off
my usual route and I'm thinking that this might be kind of cool and
convenient.  If there are others in the reading/berkshire/oxfordshire
area, perhaps we could set up a local reading/oxford.pm group.  I found
this weekend useful and if people are willing to volunteer their expertise
and time, I can swing facilities here in Reading.

So, before the excitement dies.  Not sure how one proceeds with such
things, but if there's interest, I can get us a room and we could probably
go from there?  I'd also be willing to volunteer my server for a
website/mailing lists.  I'm hoping that those with more experience would
be able to volunteer content?

Thanks,

Raf