[JOB] Perl / Database Developer - Financial Sector

Peter Hickman peter.hickman at semantico.com
Wed Jun 6 13:30:29 BST 2007

Joel Bernstein wrote:
> How does one get into the financial industry given it requires 3+ years
> working knowledge? Doesn't this sound like a Catch-22 to anybody else?
>
> /joel

It is, but I just happen to have five years experience in the financial
industry (as a VAX Basic programmer) and the requisite Perl experience
(from the EPOS and Web Development) so I could apply. To get into the
finance industry (or the city) you need to patchwork your CV together
from all sorts of jobs but the biggest factor is financial industry
experience, each years industry experience is worth around 3 years of
programming skills. So 3 years industry experience with 1 year of
programming puts you in better stead than 1 years industry experience
and 10 years programming.

Trust me, when I had 3 years industry experience and 15+ years
programming they still wanted more industry experience. With 5 and 20+ I
might get an interview :)

But I probably wouldn't get the job.

--
Peter Hickman.

Semantico, Lees House, 21-23 Dyke Road, Brighton BN1 3FE
t: 01273 358223
f: 01273 723232
e: peter.hickman at semantico.com
w: www.semantico.com