[JOB] Perl / Database Developer - Financial Sector

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Wed Jun 6 16:11:43 BST 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 03:46:36PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:37:05AM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 03:22:59AM -0700, ben at bpfh.net wrote:
> > > Skills Required:
> > >     - Sybase (5+ years)
> > >     - Perl (3+ years)
> > >     - Application design (5+ years)
> > >     - Working knowledge of financial industry (3+ years)
> > This comes down to the usual discussion about whether '"required"' means
> > 'required' when you read it on a job advert?
>
> >From context, it means "apply anyway if you're interested, the worst
> that can happen is that they say no".

>From this context it clearly does, as Ben knows what he's talking about.

It just irks me generally that (some) job adverts say "required" when they
don't actually mean it. Whereas if a job advert *does* mean it, and then you
apply anyway because you take the 'marketing definition of "required"' then
you look illiterate.

It would be nice if recruitment were "say what you mean".
Maybe I should club non-believers to death with a heavy dictionary.

Nicholas Clark