turncoat

Duane Griffin duaneg at dghda.com
Fri Jul 27 18:09:26 BST 2007

On 27/07/07, Matt Wilson <codebrewery at gmail.com> wrote:
> A while ago I had to write a Java desktop app and I found Swing to be
> quite slow and pretty ugly, so I tried out SWT and would definitely
> use it again - the only drawback is that it does require some platform
> specific libraries to be distributed...

Swing is certainly slower and uglier than using native bindings, like
SWT does. It is getting better with every release though, and
sometimes being a bit slower and slightly ugly is a trade-off worth
making. On the other hand, if you are using eclipse and don't mind the
native libraries, SWT would probably be the default choice. I've not
had any experience with it, so I can't comment on the relative merits
of the APIs.

Cheers,
Duane.

--
"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan