Perl IDE

Billy Abbott billy at cowfish.org.uk
Tue Aug 7 21:38:23 BST 2007

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Edward Quick wrote:

>> On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 06:18:38PM +0000, Edward Quick wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I know any self-respecting programmer would only program in Vi, but
>> > recently I've started to find IDEs can actually make life easier,
>> > especially with large codebases. Does anyone here use an IDE for Perl?
>> Or
>> > could they recommend one for me please?
>>
>> There are a few options.  ActiveState have an IDE offering, Komodo:

<snip>

>>    http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_ide/
>
> Many thanks. At $295 I'll probably give Komodo a miss, and try EPIC. I've
> never got to grips with emacs although I've noticed it's quite popular with
> the old school ;-)

The editor bit is free (http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_edit/)
so it depends on which IDE bits you're after. It does "projects" but
doesn't do the more useful bits of code browsing. It does do method
auto-completion for perl, which was nice and unexpected.

Then again, the first thing I installed on this still quite new mac was
emacs :)

--billy

--
#Hotdog, Jumping Frog, http://www.cabq.gov
  Billy Abbott                     billy at cowfish dot org dot uk