Perl IDE

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Wed Aug 8 22:19:32 BST 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 01:52:24PM -0700, chromatic wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 August 2007 13:17:01 Eric Wilhelm wrote:
>
> > # on Wednesday 08 August 2007 07:31 am:
>
> > >I used to think that would be a good idea, but I'm not so sure it'd
> > >work any more.
>
> > Focus follows foot-pedal?
>
> Focus follows chunky black framed hipster eyeglasses.

That would get very confusing. You'd have to remember to turn your head to
move the focus, but hold your head still whilst only moving your eyes if you
want to look into another window whilst preserving the focus.

Really, what I'd like is something that even '80s technology should have
managed - mouse and keyboard input events in the same queue, so that any
backlog is processed in the correct sequence. Including "if I perform this
mouse action there, so that this other window now has focus, subsequent
key presses now arrive in it". Although I can see how actually implementing
that reliably could be hard in X, in the face of how decoupled it is from
things like window managers, let alone pagers on virtual desktops.

Nicholas Clark