Research masters in London

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Mon Aug 20 13:15:32 BST 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 10:18:26PM +0600, [[Sumon]] said:
> I have been a passive member of this list for last one year. I am posting
> for the first time for some advice. I love this group.

Awesome.

> Question:
> What advice or pointer would you offer to a 25 year old intermediate
> level Perl programmer if he says, he has strong experience in writing
> web crawlers and would like to go for a research masters degree
> related to search engine, web crawling, data mining or information
> retrieval in London (or at least UK)?

In London, Imperial College has a strong Data Mining department which
takes MScs and PhDs. Elsewhere I hear Edinburgh and Southhampton are
both good. Aston in Birmingham is supposed to have a good research
department as well, as far as I know.

However, if you were looking you'd have to be quick - University terms
in the UK start in September and October so you may already be too late.

University admission in the UK is done through an organisation called
UCAS

http://www.ucas.com/

and all universities have websites. Imperial's is

http://www.imperial.ac.uk

with the department of computing being

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/

Other universities to look for in London are

Kings
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/

UCL (University College London)
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/

Goldsmiths
http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/

with Goldsmiths in particular having a strong post doctoral program.

A word of warning - prices for foreign students are relatively steep -
up to 22,000 UKP a term IIRC. An option is to do a part time degree
whilst working at which case it tend to be around 4,000 UKP a term I
think.

Hope that helps,

Simon