turncoat

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Wed Aug 22 23:10:36 BST 2007

On 22 Aug 2007, at 14:49, Peter Corlett wrote:
>> Python's a lovely language. More Perl programmers should learn it.
>
> That can probably be said about many languages and tools.

Oh yes - number one advice to any programmer who hasn't already is
"learn other languages" - but for Perl I'd probably recommend Python
or JavaScript first. Both are elegant languages that overlap
considerably with Perl. Also both are maligned by people who don't
know them[1] :)

> This week, I have mainly been playing with Erlang. I've decided
> that I quite like functional programming, but don't think much of
> Erlang's type model (i.e. it doesn't have one). String processing
> is particularly awful and faintly C-like.

I'd still like to spend some real quality time with Lisp. Frankly I'm
scared of falling so deeply in love with it that it cripples me for
anything else though.

[1] I don't *know* Python - but I know enough to know I like it.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net