[OT] Mac JPEG viewer advice

Chris Devers cdevers at pobox.com
Sat Sep 29 15:36:17 BST 2007

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, Andrew Black wrote:

> My other half has been sucked into giving advice to her mother who has
> an iMac. Nether of us are familiar with Macs.  We are not quite sure
> of the model number, think it is about 4 years old.
>
> She wants a viewer for digital photos.  iPhoto (AFAIK) need MacOS X.
> (side issue - is that normally pronounced "ex" or "ten". Suspect it is
> a deliberate ambiguity)

"Ten", but no one is confused if you say "ex".

> The Mac is running:
> Mac OS 9.0.4 Deutsch
>
> Here's some memory info
> Arbeitsspeicher 64MB

I suspect it's older than you think -- an iMac G3 from the late 90s or
so. The iMac G4 and even the late iMac G3 all shipped with more RAM than
that. The latest it could be is something like a G3/450mhz iMac DV --

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_dv_plus_450.html

Now, that said, if it's running OS9, it ought to be able to at least run
a web browser, either Internet Explorer 5.x or Netscape 4.x. They're old
and crusty, but they ought to be able to view JPGs.

If that won't work, let me know and I can try some other ideas...

--
Chris Devers